Pinnacol Assurance to Host Bilingual Conference on Workplace Safety
Attendees will receive hands-on training they can take straight to the worksite
DENVER, March 14, 2011 – The importance of training Spanish-speaking employees in the construction industry will receive attention next month with a special conference on workplace safety. Pinnacol Assurance is hosting Colorado’s 2nd annual Bilingual Conference on Workplace Safety in support of a national safety training initiative by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The conference will be conducted in partnership with the OSHA Training Institute (OTI), Rocky Mountain Education Center and Red Rocks Community College on April 12-13 at the Denver Merchandise Mart.
Entry‐level construction workers and supervisors will experience hands-on training in lab and classroom settings. The track participants choose will determine course content and the language in which the class is taught. Many participants can expect to earn OSHA training certifications. The conference is open to all construction employees, not just Pinnacol policyholders.
“While fatalities among Spanish-speaking employees have gone down, it’s critical we keep native-language training a priority,” said Jim McMillen, Pinnacol’s director of safety services. “Our goal is to make sure Coloradans working in the construction industry get the training they need to keep them safe.”
Participants can attend one of the following two-day tracks:
- OSHA 10‐Hour Construction Safety and Health – for entry‐level construction workers, offered in English and Spanish. Participants will receive their OSHA 10-Hour card.
- Focused Advanced Supervisor Training (FAST) course – for supervisors. Participants may receive Continuance of Certification points.
- Mobile Equipment Train the Trainer – for owners, supervisors and safety personnel interested in developing in-house mobile equipment training. Participants may receive Continuance of Certification points.
Nearly 200 construction employees participated in the 2010 conference, with 169 achieving OSHA certification.
“The feedback we’ve received from our members who attended the conference has been outstanding,” said Helga Grunerud, executive director of Hispanic Contractors of Colorado. “More important, they’ll be able to put what they learned into practice immediately on-the-job.”
The conference costs $50 per person. To register, visit www.pinnacol.com/training or call 800.873.7242. Because space is limited, the registration deadline is April 1.
About Pinnacol Assurance
Pinnacol Assurance is Colorado’s leading provider of workers’ compensation insurance. Pinnacol provides comprehensive, competitively priced coverage; immediate attention to claims; a highly qualified network of medical providers; and proactive safety programs to approximately 55,000 Colorado businesses. Over the past six years, Pinnacol has returned nearly $394 million in general dividends to its policyholders statewide ― a mark of the company’s stable and strong financial health. Pinnacol’s employees are active in the community, with over 98 percent volunteering more than 5,800 hours in 2010.
Web Communications Specialist
- Apply for Insurance »
- Report an Injury »
- View Invoices »
- Pay Your Bill »
- Manage SelectNet Providers »
- Request Certificate of Insurance »
- Enter Wages or RTW Information »
- Complete Your Audit Report »
- Complete Your Payroll Report »
- Manage OSHA Recordkeeping »
- View General Dividend Information »
- Report Fraud »