Selecting a medical provider to care for your employees is similar to choosing your own family medical provider – the relationship is based on trust and communication. How can you find the right medical providers?
In 2014 Colorado state lawmakers passed House Bill 1383, which requires employers to designate four physicians or corporate medical providers to treat their injured workers. It’s important for employers to designate providers when acquiring workers’ compensation coverage and occasionally assess their designated providers to ensure they are still the right fit. Designating medical providers is easy:
Step 1 // Determine your unique needs and expectations.
- Analyze optimal clinic locations convenient for your operations.
- What special services do you require? Pre-employment exams, drug testing, respirator fittings, hearing conservation programs or surveillance screenings?
- Will you need after-hours care or Spanish-speaking caregivers?
Step 2 // Research medical providers in your area.
Pinnacol’s online SelectNet provider directory is an excellent resource. SelectNet is Pinnacol’s Provider Network and comprises providers with expertise in occupational injuries.
Pinnacol holds SelectNet providers to a higher standard of training and accreditation through the Division of Workers’ Compensation of Colorado. They manage the injured employee’s work status from the beginning of treatment through recovery, and they keep you informed of the employee’s status. Designating a SelectNet provider or clinic ensures your employees are cared for by properly credentialed providers who are familiar with workers’ compensation rules of procedure and Pinnacol’s quality standards.
- Call the provider office to schedule an introductory meeting.
- Use the Medical Provider Interview Guide or your own list of questions to get acquainted with the provider before you make your decision.
Step 3 // Designate your medical providers.
- Pinnacol’s Policyholder Portal – From Pinnacol.com, enter the policyholder portal from the top right. Register or sign in and click on “Manage Providers.”
- Online – Please visit Pinnacol.com and click on “Manage SelectNet Providers” within “QuickLinks” in the right hand column of the screen for a complete list of network providers. Click “Manage Medical Providers” to update your provider designations.
- Contact a member of Pinnacol’s Customer Service Team at (303) 361-4000 or (800) 873-7242.
Step 4 // Establish relationships with your designated providers.
- Coordinate your protocols for injuries with your medical provider. •Negotiate costs for services such as physicals, drug tests and immunizations.
- Encourage your medical provider to visit your worksite, if appropriate, to understand the work environment and types of injuries and assess modified duty.